VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I work on my 2004 vw passat 1.8t and i need to crank the…

Customer Question
I work on...

I work on my 2004 vw passat 1.8t and i need to crank the engine with actron remote starter switch can this be done but not through the starter

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

What is this has to do with my question?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just want to crank the engine with the remote starter switch

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: VW
12/5/2017
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need the vin # of the vehicle to get the factory info to assist!!

Thanks

wvwpd63b94p148244
no call please
please let me know if you are still wih me or not
sleeping?????

model # of the actron please!!

i presume its a remote start correct?

Fyi i do my diligence to assist but its not like rubbing a crystal ball and viola!!!

it is just trigger switch cp 7853 it is 2 wires switch

ok one lead comes from battery positive and the other one getting location to tag in!!

i do not understand what you trying to communicate to me
what location?
remember i told you not throughj the starter

one question please? you cannot start it with the key correct?

i work on the car my self so some times i need to crank the engine to see what the issue is

ok you know where the ecu is located correct?

no i did not tell you that, read the question carefully, it looks like you do not know anything about vw, if you do not know please get me someone who does

in that box is a series of connectors that connects the inside to the outside harness.

brown 10 pin connector pin # 4 is a pretty thick red/black wire . that is the wire that goes to the starter solenoid . that is where you can tag that wire .

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A MORE THAN A 3 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

that is a very difficult box to get to, that is where the main computer is that right?i have the feeling you do not know, is there away i can cancel you and get someone who can help me?
how can i get someone else?
That is the easiest way to get to that. And I’m sorry that I was on the road going home and ji just got back on line.
Take the clip off of the ecu and then move the ecu out of the way but leave it connected. Then you will see a line of the connectors of different colors. And right there you will see the brown one.
I CAN NOT GET THAT BOX OUT, AND I WAS TOLD BY THE VW TECHS NOT TO MESS AROUND WITH COMPUTER I WILL RISK BURN IT.
IS ANY OTHER WAY TO DO THROUGH THE RELAYS?
OOPS IS THERE ANY

And i',m Not a VW TECH??? WOW!! NO just take the lid off there are 4 to 6 8mm head bolts black in color. then take the hold down clip off the ecu (not the plugs of the ecu and you will have about 6 to 10 inches of harness so that can flip out of the way !!

i have attached 2 pics . first of the ecu with the clip on

the second showing where the connectors are at (without the box) you do not have to take the box out!!

you see a brown connector in the connector row .. real easy to get!!

I DONT THINK I WANT TO GO THROUGH THIS JUST TO CRANK THE ENGINE, AND THERE IS MORE TO IT BEFORE YOU CAN GET TO THE BOLTS THAT HOLD DOWN THE COVER BEHIND.I AM LOOKING FOR ALOT EASIER WAY TO CRANK THE ENGINE, IF YOU KNOW OF AWAY TO DO IT LET ME KNOW

i'm sorry but that is the easiest way unless going to the starter itself but you requested not at the starter..

there are alot of times where i went to that connector pin and use a starter button .

HOW DO YOU DO IT THROUGH THE STARTER? #50 IS VERY HARD TO GET TO IT AND IAM NOT SURE IF PULL THE WIRE OUT OR IT HAS CLIP THAT I NEED TO RELEASE BEFORE PULLING THE WIRE OUT?

i use a right angle pic to get inside the plastic housing where the wire terminal is shielded then clip the starter button to the pick then use the button.

note wrap the shaft of the pick with electrical tape so you not have any arc welding action going on when the button is used if the pick touches something metal!!

I WILL TRY THAT AND LET YOU KNOW. FROM #50 WHERE DOES THE WIRE GO TO THE + OR - ON THE BATTERY?

+ side of the battery one end of you push button starter and then other end with the pic

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician