VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My 1974 VW Thing appears to be stuck in two gears. I cannot…

Customer Question
My 1974 VW Thing...

My 1974 VW Thing appears to be stuck in two gears. I cannot get it to move as it dies when the clutch is let out. When jacked up off the floor, the driver side rear wheel doesn't move but the passenger side wheel turns .

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

The clutch has been fine and shifting was OK. Just sloppy like most VW's that vintage

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '74 VW?

Thing

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just looked into the linkage and that looked OK.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That I jacked up the car off the floor and the left wheel is locked up while the right wheel turns free.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2017
VW Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

Maybe the brake is locked up on the left side. If you had a trans problem the right wheel would not turn either. When did you drive the car last? Does the hand brake work? Get back to me when you can.

I took the left (driver) side wheel off and tried to see if the hand brake was locked/frozen? I backed off the adjustment wheels and tapped the wheel with a mallet to see if that would release the brake if it was stuck. Also seems like the ebrake cable has slack on both sides vs tight on the left.
It is garaged, but only driven once a month around the neighborhood.

You will have to get the brake drum off. There is something in that brake assy jamming the wheel. Have the brakes made any odd noises lately? I dont think it is a bearing problem at the wheel, because it would make a lot of noise when you are driving.

thank you