VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

The car does not charge, I replace alternator

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: VW
12/1/2017
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 7 months ago
Martin, auto electrical

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

Is there 12volt on the main battery cable at the alternator?

Greetings,

Martin.

I'm getting 11.81 volts at the battery, I can't check the alternator I can't even see it

The alternator is on the passenger side below the intake manifold. There should be a thick red wire with a constant battery voltage at the terminal. If you find there is no voltage at the wire the fuse might have blown. This fuse is in the black box behind the aircleaner. The fuse is one of the large fuses inside this box you should be able to identify it easy whether it is blown or not.

Greetings,

Martin.

The wire has battery voltage. And the fuse is good
Hi, then when you run the engine at 2000 rpm. What is the reading?
The voltage doe not change at all

Then you will have to get a scanner tool (the part store people can scan the car for you) to see why the voltage regulator is not switching on. There might be something wrong with the instrument cluster. The warning light signal is not getting to the alternator.

Greetings,

Martin.

Here are some test you can also do.

On the alternator.

There are two small wires.

A blue wire, from the instrument cluster the warning light. Battery voltage when ignition is on.

Brown/red ignition on engine running battery voltage. This wire go directly to the engine control module.

If there is no voltage on the blue wire the instrument cluster might be where the fault is at.

Greetings,

Martin.