VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

The front hood off of a 1969 VW Beetle does anyone know what…

Hello,The front hood off of...
Hello,The front hood off of a 1969 VW Beetle does anyone know what years this hood will interchange? Thanks.
11/23/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

1968 thru 1978 Standard beetle hoods are interchangeable.

The exception is 1971-72 Super Beetle. They cannot be used on the standard beetle

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Hi Eric,
Thanks for the answer, I'm curious not have the two hoods side by side what is the difference between the two and why are they not interchangeable? They look the same in a picture. Thanks.

HI,

The mounting bolts do not line up for the hinges and there is a slight difference in width and length.

Thanks
Eric this 1969 VW hood is there a way to know if it is an original or a reproduction? Thanks

HI,

Not to my knowledge as there is no identifying number on it like there is on the chassis, engine or transaxle.

I will check thru all my technical manuals to see if there is weight listed for it, or sheet metal thickness that you can check yours against as most reproductions are made of a slightly thinner and lighter sheet metal than the original