VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

What is the best way to test the solenoid. I don want to

break the connect on the...
What is the best way to test the solenoid. I don want to break the connect on the solenoid pin
11/22/2017
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
What solenoid are we talking about ?
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
2012 beetle
I have the battery tray out and am looking at the starter. I figured out how to disconnect the wire. My next thought was to check for power to the wire when starting or apply power to the pin to see if the starter spins,
Please provide me your number so I can call you
Calling in 5 minutes
just called no answer
I will try again
Good afternoon I tried calling a couple times let me know when your available to speak
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Are you calling(###) ###-####
He
I believe the voicemail sad something like Ed
Is there another number I can call you at ? My number probably comes up blocked on your phone
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Can you call me at(###) ###-####
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I updated my iphone last night and now it says no service. Unbelievable.
I just called the number giving the last time and it went to voice mail of Erin
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
This is unbelievable, I am sitting with the second phone (my sons) infront of me and it did not ring or register a recent call
Is your son Erin ?
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Eddie
and I am Ed
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I turned off his auto lock, so perhaps it will ring.

Glad we spoke have a good holiday

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Good morning,
I applied battery to the solenoid and the starter cranked the engine over. Unfortunately, i can not find an ignition circuit diagram any where. I did change out a relay (646), but no change. Any other ideas?I did not check for voltage being delivered to the solenoid via the red wire as I can't seem to unseat it again. But I can try again.
let’s check voltage to the 1 pin connector while cranking see what you have
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Good morning,
I applied battery to the solenoid and the starter cranked the engine over. Unfortunately, i can not find an ignition circuit diagram any where. I did change out a relay (646), but no change. Any other ideas?I did not check for voltage being delivered to the solenoid via the red wire as I can't seem to unseat it again. But I can try again.OK, I will head back to my sons hous in an hour and report back, thanks and have a great day/
Same to you
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Good morning,
I applied battery to the solenoid and the starter cranked the engine over. Unfortunately, i can not find an ignition circuit diagram any where. I did change out a relay (646), but no change. Any other ideas?I did not check for voltage being delivered to the solenoid via the red wire as I can't seem to unseat it again. But I can try again.OK, I will head back to my sons hous in an hour and report back, thanks and have a great day/OK, I checked the voltage coming to the Solenoid when hitting the start button and there is no voltage there.
Provide me the vehicles vin # so I can check the wiring diagram thank you
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Good morning,
I applied battery to the solenoid and the starter cranked the engine over. Unfortunately, i can not find an ignition circuit diagram any where. I did change out a relay (646), but no change. Any other ideas?I did not check for voltage being delivered to the solenoid via the red wire as I can't seem to unseat it again. But I can try again.OK, I will head back to my sons house in an hour and report back, thanks and have a great day/OK, I checked the voltage coming to the Solenoid when hitting the start button and there is no voltage there.
3VWVA7AT9CM654109
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Good morning,
I applied battery to the solenoid and the starter cranked the engine over. Unfortunately, i can not find an ignition circuit diagram any where. I did change out a relay (646), but no change. Any other ideas?I did not check for voltage being delivered to the solenoid via the red wire as I can't seem to unseat it again. But I can try again.OK, I will head back to my sons house in an hour and report back, thanks and have a great day/OK, I checked the voltage coming to the Solenoid when hitting the start button and there is no voltage there.3VWVA7AT9CM654109
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
3VWVA7AT9CM654109
You need to check the relay labeled 507 and 645 located behind the dash left to the steering column
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
ok, doing it now
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
replacing 645? There appears to be 3 of them, can you advise?
I will have to get the parts tomorrow.
Thanks, Ed
Just tried calling your number to explain but not successful
I’ll try back later
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Please try calling again

The starter relays are labeled 2 and 6

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I've been reading about 2012 Beetle's being prone to Carbon build-up in the intake that causes the car not to start. There's clicking coming from the intake as well as the Electronic stability light is on. Could this be the problem? All of the electric features of the beetle work.The daily commute also has been cut from ten miles to one mile in hence carbon build up.

Carbon build up is very common in the 2.0 liter turbo motor but you stated that this vehicle was running right before the battery was replaced with no issues correct ??

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
correct, it was running fine till the battery died. We jumped it and it worked overnight. Then the battery was dead again. We installed a new battery.
Then yeah it doesn’t seem like it would be that issue
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I will check to see if we can get some relays today.

These relays may be dealer item only

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
ok. If so, we will probably just take it in. Thanks.
No problem
vwtech0405
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician