VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

The VW passat has a spanner showing on the dashboard .. i am

in another country currently so...
The VW passat has a spanner showing on the dashboard .. i am in another country currently so took it to a shop and was told is a gearbox leakage.. so from D6 AND D7 MULFUNCTIONS when its on drive. My question is , can i drive this for 400KM back to my home ? It still moves but occasionally will drag and act like struggling to move ..
11/22/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this is an internal fluid pressure loss leak this can cause more wear to internal components in the transmission/gear box leading to more damage needing repaired so it isnt advised to operate it this long of a distance and it may fail even more or not shift at all or properly if driven like this in some cases.
Now if this is an external leakage as long as it is not leaking onto any hot exhaust components and if you can stop and check the fluid once and awhile and top it off you should be able to drive it to where you need to go to then get it repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
hi i did a quick diagnostic report and this was the resultP17BF HYDRAULIC PUMP,PLAY PROTECTION
P0841 TRANSMISSION FLUID PRESSURE SENSOR/SWITCH 1 , IMPLAUSIBLE SIGNAL
P189C FUNCTION RESTRICTION DUE TO INSUFFICIENT PRESSURE BUILD-UP
P1895 FUNCTIONAL DUE TO PRESSURE DROP
P073B GEAR 6, NOT SELECTABLE
P073C GEAR 7, NOT SELECTABLE

O.k.,this is an internal fluid loss issue.This can be the pump itself at fault or an issue with an electronic in the transmission causing pressure loss.It is not a good idea to drive it like this here as this can cause more damage in the transmission/gearbox leading to more expensive repairs.

You will have to have this tested further to locate the cause of the fluid loss issue then it can be repaired from there to resolve this issue.

There is a bulletin out there on an issue with the mechatronic hydraulic unit in the gearbox which houses the pump motor.This can also be a wiring fault to the transmission/gearbox or a blown fuse issue:

VAG Error Code: 17225/002113
EOBD II Error Code: P0841

Fault Location:
Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Sensor/Switch 1 - Range/Performance Problem

Possible Cause:
Wiring/Connector(s).
Transmission fluid pressure (TFP) sensor/switch 1.
Engine Control Module (ECM).
Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Transmission Control Module (TCM) (J217).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

VAG Error Code: 006300
EOBD II Error Code: P189C

Fault Location:
Function Restriction due to Insufficient Pressure Build-Up

Possible Cause:
Unable to complete Basic Settings, fault will not clear from Transmission Control Module.

Fuse(s).
Wiring/Connector(s).
Faulty Mechatronic Unit, (Hydraulic Pump Motor (V401).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace Fuse(s).
Replace faulty Mechatronic Unit.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
wow too bad... how do i take it to the shop then? Shop is like 45 mins away from my area now .. Any idea please??
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Can i just drive it slowly there or it can stop completely ....

You may have to have it towed but if it will run and drive with no noises or issues you should be able to drive it this far.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Been driving and there is no sound it moves smoothly with few jerks here and there from the 6 gear ... Do you think it can be safe to go to the shop ??

I think you are safe to drive it to the shop with what you have described.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Yea It drives normally except ocassionally it will be stuck on 5 and does not move to 6 or 7 and when it gets there it drives normal...
That would probably be the only issue you see.If you need to drive it I would only drive it to the repair facility for full diagnosis and repair.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated
Thanks Pete
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Your welcome

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician