VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

99 VW Passat, 1.8T engine M/T. My problem is cold weather,

Customer Question
99 VW Passat, 1.8T...

99 VW Passat, 1.8T engine M/T. My problem is cold weather, cold engine only. Car will start and quickly begin to run rough, missing on multiple cylinders. Sometimes it dies, other times it will continue to run poorly long enough to start warming up. If it does that, the missing gradually goes away and when the engine is warm car will drive perfectly. If the cold engine dies. Trying to restart immediately will result in good cranking speed but no firing at all. Wait five minutes and attempted restart will result in a start with multiple misfires, but, again, if it runs long enough to begin warming up, the problem will disappear. If I go through this sequence enough times (usually it will stay running within 3 or 4 attempts) the car will stay running long enough to warm up. There have been only a couple occasions when I gave up. This problem started late last winter, disappeared completely over summer and has resurfaced this fall with the return of cooler ambiant temperatures.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a carburetor?

Ported FI

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes working on it myself. Plugs, some coil packs, crank position sensor, water temp. sensor, and mass air flow sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Think that covers it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
11/21/2017
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago
kyle swart

Hello my name is ***** ***** than you for using just answer. Do you have the ability to pull fault codes and information from the engine computer? thanks.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. Certified master auto technician
2003-2004, 2013-2015 Certified Volkswagen technician
VW and Audi technician, indpependent, 12 years.

Forgot to include that info. Don't have the exact codes at hand, but they are "random multiple misfires", misfire cyl 1, misfire cyl 3, etc. Never any other codes. I've read and cleared the codes after several of these events. Always get the "random multiple misfire" code and 2 or 3 individual cyl misfire codes, but never all 4 cylinders in one episode.
I think the biggest clue is that the issue is totally "cold start". The problem never happens unless the engine has been shut off for at least 5 hours (and usually this problem won't show up unless engine has been off for 8 or more hours) .
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

I would read what the engine computer is seeing from the coolant temp sensor, with the key on, engine off, when it is dead cold. I would also make sure the fuel quality is ok. These engines also do not like the wrong spark plugs. I have also seen carbon buildup on the intake valves cause this concern, but typically only on very high mileage cars.

I always buy 91-93 octane fuel. "No ethanol" premium is the norm.
I only have a code reader. How do I check what engine computer is seeing from coolant temperature sensor when engine is cold?
What is the fix for carbon buildup on the intake valves?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

You would need a scan tool that can read measured value blocks, or pids, (the data stream) to see what the computer sees. I usually check for carbon by shoving a camera down the intake manifold. I would also check the fuel pressure.Hopefully the information I supplied helped. Please leave me a 5 star rating, if you do not feel I deserve a 5 star rating, please let me know ahead of time and I will make sure I have done all that I can to assist you, thank you.