VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

The yellow transmission malfunctioning light goes on in my…

The yellow transmission malfunctioning...

The yellow transmission malfunctioning light goes on in my GTI when driving but it only goes on at night not when driving during the day.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No my owners manual just says it is the yellow transmission malfunction light.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the VW Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What year is your GTI?

2012.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GTI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing my wife drove it to our repair shop and the light didn't go on and Tom couldn't find anything.

11/21/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this is the transmission warning/malfunction light coming on this indicates a fault is being detected by the computer with one of the transmission components.What has to be done is when the light is on the fault codes need to be checked/read out with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your model that can read the codes in the transmission computer.Not all scan tools or computers will read this computer for codes so it has to be done with one that can read these computers.

Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault here.Unfortunately in some cases the code may clear itself out when the light is off making it difficult to diagnose so if there is any way you can get the codes read out when the light is on this will help to locate the fault.In some cases a local parts store can read out the transmission fault codes free of charge if your mechanic is unable to see any codes set or is unable to check it when the light is on.

This may be a failing sensor or solenoid in the transmission needing replaced but there are several components that can cause this issue so the codes do need checked/read out to help to locate and repair this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I guess I have to take it back to the VW dealer to have it checked out. I was not satisfied in the past but they would have the equipment to read the codes, correct ?

Yes they can read the codes from all computers and are usually the best option to read out the codes unless you can find a repair facility that has a scan tool/computer that can read the codes for you.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician