VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

It starts and dies instantly. Key on not starting I have the…

Customer Question
It starts and dies...

It starts and dies instantly. Key on not starting I have the following lights on....epc,engine,battery,flashing car with key,and a red temp gauge flashing... it's a 02 jetta 1.8

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The warning lights on the dash

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just started. The battery went dead yesterday from cleaning the inside with door open. So I slow charged battery all night. Came to start it and it starts but dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes im fixing myself

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
I think its the immobilizer but how could that happen
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
11/19/2017
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 8 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This is the immobilizer causing this issue here.What you can try and do here is to lock and unlock the doors with the key or remote or interior lock and unlock buttons then see if it starts.This sometimes allows a relearn to start it.If this does not work then a shop or dealer may have to program the security system again to allow restarting unfortunately as I do not see a manual method myself on programming this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete