VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

What type of oil i should use for vw golf 1.8 tsi...2017???

What type of oil...

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

I just need to do it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '17 VW?

Golf 1.8 tsi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How often i should change oil for this car?

11/19/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Use 5w-40 full synthetic

VW states for warranty, oil and filter should be changed every 10,000 miles. This is based upon using full synthetic oil which is designed to last 10,000 to 12,500 miless

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

thanks!

you are welcome

what about european formula mobil 1 0w-40??

VW states 5w-40.

While 0w-40 is safe for your vehicle, if something were to happen to the engine for any reason, even manufacturer fault, they will ask for service records and when they see the wrong weight of oil used, they will decline the warranty.

Dealers are always looking for a way to decline a warranty claim if they can. Always keep that in mind.

ok understand...thanks!....so i can use 5w-40 for a whole year....
and is it different if i buy oil at the dealership or in the retail store??

HI,

Yes, use it year round.

You can buy from a retail store. I personally prefer either Mobil 1 or Royal Purple full synthetic and they meet all VW's specifications

i personally prefer mobil 1 5w-40 too, but they didn't have it in the retail stores.....so i bought castrol edge fully synthetic 5w-40...

That is just as good and meets all VW's specifications

thanks!....and what about coolant ?....how often i should change??....and what kind is the best for this vehicle??.....
where i can buy it??

HI,

It uses a special pink long life coolant, G 13 (TL-VW 774 J). Sometimes you can find it on Amazon, otherwise dealer.

It is only replaced every 150,000 miles.

what about transmission oil??

Vw Part Number/Specification .......................................... G 055 025 A2

You can substitute it with Amsoil Automatic Transmission,09G......TIV [3]
Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT)

Replace every 80,000 miles

thank you!

you are welcome

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager