VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My daughter has a VW Tiguan, 2011, with a diagnostic code…

Hi, my daughter has...

Hi, my daughter has a VW Tiguan, 2011, with a diagnostic code P0753 Shift solenoid A. Was about to leave to drive 5 1/2 hours from school to home for Thanksgiving. Need to know if this is a serious condition or not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Volkswagen Tiguan. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

She just had the alternator and battery changed, and this happened right after. If I do this do I get connected right away?

11/18/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

is the car safe to drive if it has not been fixed yet? The dealer where she goes to school has been unreliable and I would ideally like to take it back where we bought it.

Sure it is, the worse that could happen is that it will go into a limp mode which will restrict the speed of the car. Don't let it go too long though, it does need to be addressed.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Ok thanks

You bet, thank you too.