VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Second opinion] I just had my catalytic converter replaced…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I just...

Second opinion] I just had my catalytic converter replaced at a shop and he said i need an engine tune up to get it out of limp mode. Is that right?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle been "scoped out"?

I think so. He read the codes and he said the only code showing is the engine mis firing. The o2 sensors did not show a code.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2000 vw new beetle 2.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your New Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took the car to a mechanic suggested by a friend. I have not worked on it myself. When i looked up the symptoms of the car originally it said catalytic converter. I tried cleaners you put in the gas to help fuel efficiency and that worked for a little bit. Then i just had it replaced by a mechanic who runs an exhaust only shop

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The engine was replaced in the car about a year ago. I juat got the car and thats the info i got from the previous owner

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
11/19/2017
VW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You may need a tune up and spark plugs are very often the cause of a misfire, but I'm not sure that the engine is actually in limp in. Engine limp in happens when a failure is seen, fault codes set and power is purposely limited. If it's only setting a misfire code then you're most likely feeling a lack of power due to the misfire rather than limp in; if it were in limp in then there would be associated fault codes set. If there is nothing but a misfire code setting then that's what needs to be dealt with. There are many possible causes for a misfire but the spark plugs are definitely the first thing that should be addressed.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.