VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I just had my catalytic converter replaced at a shop and he…

I just had my...

I just had my catalytic converter replaced at a shop and he said i need an engine tune up to get it out of limp mode. Is that right?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle been "scoped out"?

I think so. He read the codes and he said the only code showing is the engine mis firing. The o2 sensors did not show a code.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2000 vw new beetle 2.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your New Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took the car to a mechanic suggested by a friend. I have not worked on it myself. When i looked up the symptoms of the car originally it said catalytic converter. I tried cleaners you put in the gas to help fuel efficiency and that worked for a little bit. Then i just had it replaced by a mechanic who runs an exhaust only shop

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The engine was replaced in the car about a year ago. I juat got the car and thats the info i got from the previous owner

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic

Hi im kevin we would really need the fault codes to be able to give an accurate answer .but i would say its quite unlikely that anything in a tuneup would cure a limp home fault

If the catalytic converter was the problem and I just had it replaced would it immediately start working correctly? Or does it have to work itself out?

No the system would need to be plugged in and reset with a diagnostic tool

Do i have to go to a vw mechanic/dealership for that? The mechanic I used only does exhaust work so possibly he doesn't have the right diagnostic tool. Being a single female I have a fear that I'm being ripped off because I don't know anything about what's going on. He showed me the catalytic converter he took off and said it was glowing red inside because too much gas was going thru the engine.

Ok i would recommend that you get car looked at by a full workshop rather than an exhaust shop .it doesnt have to be a dealer most garages have equipment capable of plugging in and resetting system .they will also be able to tell you if the original cause was indeed the cat or not

Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic
Thank you. I will do that.