VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Fuel pump issue. I replaced one of the pumps but it is not…

Customer Question
Fuel pump issue. I...

Fuel pump issue. I replaced one of the pumps but it is not getting any gas into the injectors. One tank is full and the other is empty. Car shows half a tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Original. I had a crack on the filter and replaced that. There are two correct?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2004 Touareg

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Touareg yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, working on it myself. Started from the front with the basic. Check out fuses and Relay. All check out okay. No pressure on the fuel rail.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope... this is it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
11/17/2017
VW Mechanic: vwtech0405, VW Technician replied 8 months ago
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Good afternoon I can help you what was the original concern that you replaced the one pump ? And which exact side did you replace ?
Hello.... No that is not the main concerns. I am trying to find out the issue. My fathers 2004 Touareg would not turn back on after he returned form Costco. The gauge shows approx. 1/2 a tank and the passenger side tank is empty but the drivers side has fuel. I replaced the drivers side pump thinking this could be the reason after first seeing that the fuses and relay were in working order.
My father said that the car started a few days later after it was towed to the house and we used it up and down the driveway to make sure it was okay but when he turned it back off and returned the following morning to start it, it would not turn on. I did some online research and read everything from a safety sensor under the gauge cluster to fuel filter o-ring going out. I don't hear the pumps trimming when the doors are opened but then again I never did as this is not my car.
Any advice you can give?
Can you please check power and ground to both fuel pumps while cranking ?
Hi and pardon the late reply.... thanksgiving weekend. Tested the fuel pumps directly and they turn..... fuses are okay and purchased a new relay..... I am not getting any power to the pumps.
VW Mechanic: vwtech0405, VW Technician replied 7 months ago

I undertand you tested them directly but in this model one fuel pump comes on when cranking then the other one gets power and one shuts off since its only used for the purpose of starting the issue have you checked signal this way to see if they get power and ground at all while cranking ?

I have power. Turns out it was a loose power wire to the pump. Since it was 108k miles, I just replaced both pumps made sure all wires are connected and hoses we routed correctly. Car is back on the road

am glad it all worked out