VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Aircon and fans stopped working. When I start the car the…

Customer Question
Aircon and fans stopped...

Aircon and fans stopped working. When I start the car the control unit is flashing for a minute or so

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Lights are working, sort of. I think they are weaker than they should be. Battery is only a few months old and as far as I can tell it's charging properly

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

1998 Passat

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. I don't really know much about cars. The problem have been on and off for a while but until today it have started working again when the unit stopped blinking

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
11/15/2017
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need a vin # of the vehicle to get the factory information.

any recent accidents or repairs to the vehicle?

thanks

I believe this is the VIN. I could not find it on any stickers where the internet said it would be, but found this in my papers: WVWZZZ3BZWE375281. Is it correct? The car is a 1998 VW Passat Type 3B Wagon, black (or dark blue?) (according to the paper I have on the car from the DMV). I don't really have any interest in cars but I can do simple things like changing the oil filter etc. (At least on my old Golf, not tried any of that on this car yet). I have not tried anything to troubleshoot this problem yet as it sort of has been working until today.
Today I was driving to a store about 25 minutes away. On the way there it worked as normal, meaning the head unit flashed for a bit when I started the car, after a minute or so it stops flashing, the fan starts and everything is working. When I was gonna drive home the headunit was flashing as usual, but when it stopped, the fan did not start. After 10 or so minutes the fan suddenly started working and I had no problem the rest of the way home. As far as i know, the car has not been in any accidents and no repairs beyond normal maintenance (which the previous owner claims have been done in a certified VW workshop).Please be detailed when explaining things to me if you can as I don't really know any of the car terms. I had to Google what "VIN number" was to be able to tell you.BR
Twilight
Additional info I just thought of that might or might not be related. I think i have some weird electrical issue with my car. I don't think the headlight are as bright as they should be and the lights inside the car only works sometimes. Sometimes they don't work at all, sometimes they work, but creates very little light, and sometimes they work as they should. It became better after I changed my battery, but still not all good. It goes for all internal lights, in front, in the back seats, in the trunk, and the ones under the door. I have them always turned off as the sensor for turning them on when I open the door is not stable and I do not trust it enough to risk them draining my battery when the car is parked./Twilight

sorry for my delay had a family emergency .

can you do me a favor with the car on press and hold the econ and recircualate buttons for 5 seconds and then will go into diagnostics .

jot down the #'s and then press the warmer button to get to the next code . when you see 444 that is the end of the codes

please do let me know what was stored!!

Thanks

When I first enter diagnostic mode it shows "4F9 00". I then press the heat up as you said and it shows "000 00" no matter how many times I press any button. However, If I then hold down recirculate and econ for 5 seconds again without exiting diagnostic mode it shows "444 00". Now I can't get back to the 4F9 code./Twilight

ok you have a fresh air blower issue !!! did you check the fuses in the fuse panels ? usually its the 25 to 30amp fuses!!