VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

1992 vw cabriolet, cranks but wont start, there is no spark…

1992 vw cabriolet, cranks but...
1992 vw cabriolet, cranks but wont start, there is no spark or inj pulse. i do have 12v to coil when key is on and fuel pressure. cust has already replaced the distributor with a reman. im looking for a flow chart to diagnose. im suspecting the igniton control module but i dont want to just throw one on. thanks, jim
11/15/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

you have 12 volts on coils and injectors ,how about ground ?

ecm sends ground,i can see the ignition module being bad if no 12 volts but you do have it

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

hi chad, with key on i have 12v to coil and i have ground, the injectors have ground and when i cycle the key on i get a 12v signal for just a moment. when i crank the veh i keep the 12v at the coil but no 12v to the injectors
Oh okay no 12 volt to Injector cool let me look up the circuit and let’s find what power up Injector ,power come from switch but send me vin i want look up exact circuit and we can trace down and be accurate
No 12 volt at time of start you loose it to be clear
ok, with key on i get constant 12v to the coil, when the key is first cycled i get a quick 12v to the inj. while cranking i dont get 12v either place. hmm now im leaning to ign switch help, lol. vin# WVWCB5152NK017098
after looking up the circuit the ignition switch or wiring to it be responsible here ,do a continuity test on wires from coil and injector back to switch but I believe they will be fine and the check switch connector for any damage and then if connector good replace switch
You are very welcome :)
Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me
Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My
my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted
Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.
Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.
You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue
(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)
or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite ExpertI'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone
Thank You
Chad Farhat
hi chad, well we are making progress but still no spark. i replaced the ign switch, i know have inj pulse when cranking, 12v to coil also when cranking but i dont have ground to the coil with key on or while cranking

man , ok ecm sends ground but lets do this first ,

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

ty, ill try that and get back with u

ok sounds good

that was wishful thinking. the reset didnt help. still no spark

at this time , you need to check ground wire from the coil back for constant continuity

Chad Farhat
the one ground from coil comes from ignition control moule, good continuity, when that ground wire is disconnected from coil and turn on ignition i still have ground, id say just from the icu. where does the other ground on the coil come from? when it is disconnected from the coil, i have ground until i turn on the ignition, then i loose it. sorry im wearing u out
chad, did u read my last question?

hey how are you

if the color of the wire is black only then it goes to disturb tor

if the ground wire is black and green it goes to the computer

morning, both wires are solid black, according to the wiring diagram you sent me the one goes to the icu and i have good continuity. the other goes to grid 15 on the diagram but it dosnt tell me where it goes or a pin on the computer. i am assuming that since i now have injector pulse, that the hall effect in the dist is working? and im not getting the ground pulse from the computer?
sir correct sorryfor delay using iPhone today
ty chad, u got me in the right direction. one more question before i call this guy. in 92 were the computers vin specific or would a used one be plug and play for same application. in other words would a used one work and if so would it need to be programed
i know ur working with ur iphone today, i got a text saying u replied to my ? about a used computer working on this car but ur answer didnt come through

you welcome

I look it up and it is not calling for one and from what i can remember from working on them bee a while for 1992 ,but no program necessary ,so it should plug and play but match the part #

Please remember to use the star to Rate me Before you Exit

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today.
If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated.
However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Thank You For The Rating :)

IF you need my Assistance in The Future on a Different issue , Just start your Question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY)

or Click on the link Below to Enter My Profile & Under My Picture Profile There is a Box That Says (Ask Your Question)

It will be Highlighted in Orange, Type your Question in The Box & It will be sent straight To Me to Assist you .

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800