VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My VW Eurovan won't start. I changed the battery, the

Customer Question
My VW Eurovan won't start...
My VW Eurovan won't start. I changed the battery, the ignition switch but it still wont start. What could be the problem?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: VW
I bought this Eurovan in Feb. Almost immediately I noticed a few second delay in the enging turning over after turning the key. It was very random and hardly noticeable. Then it progressed to not starting for 10 minutes. Just silence, then it would start with no problem. This was still very random. 9 times out of 10 it would start fine. Then I had parked the car on a decline, nose down and I had to call a tow truck, it wouldnt start. I told him I think if he pulls it back to level ground it will start. It did. I drove it a few more days with no problems. Then I eventually got worse and now it wont start at all.
I read the ignition cylender is a big problem in these cars. So I replaced it. As soon as I did it started turning over. I was psyched! But it wouldnt start, I kept turning the key and it kept trying. But then eventually it just stopped. Back to doing nothing. I thought maybe i broke the thing so i ordered a no cylinder and again it was trying to start. But once again its back to silence. All electric seems to be fine.
11/13/2017
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 5 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need a vin # to get the factory information to assist.

do you have a volt meter and can you see the starter to do some electrical checks ?

please do let me know!!

Thanks

Thank you for your help. I promise to be fair with my rating. My skill level is none! I was able to change the ignition cylinder with the help of Youtube. I do not know if I have a volt meter. But I will get one. The vin# ***** *****Rena

what i need you to do is to get to the starter the small wire and measure voltage at the small wire . you may need a second person to do the ignition switch while measuring the voltage !! one lead in the connector and the other to ground measure in dc volts!!

please let me know what is the voltage while trying to start the vehicle!!

Thanks

Do have any idea where the starter is on the Eurovan? Do i need to go under the van?
Great! Thanks for the pic. I dont have a meter right now. So Ill probably get back to tonight or tomorrow morning.

ok

vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced