VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I need to replace a A/C heater module .. don't know how to…

Customer Question
I need to replace...

I need to replace a A/C heater module .. don't know how to access panel to get at it

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your VW. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

2000 passat wagon - standard

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: VW
11/11/2017
VW Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

sorry they are not in order

sorry, not helpful. I had already done the first two sets of the 'removing' part but was unable to proceed as their are metal tabs connected to the house that prevent one from pulling out the Heater and A/C module .. Also the instructions you sent ( step 3 ) refer to center trim item 19 and a link to Item 19 (page 53). The link (if it was intended to be one) does not work, nor do I see a picture that IDs item 19
I'm confused ..it responded that the mechanic can't call me but I'm stuck. Can he comment on the black metal tabs that are preventing me from pulling out the control module ( assuming that if the black tabs are not in the way I can pull out the control module ?
Obviously I cannot stay connected to this discussion thread till it arrives .. will I receive an email ? or will they call me ?
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 5 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Hello Mike

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

Can you attach a pic of what tabs are you are talking about so i'm on the same page as you are?

thanks

VW Mechanic: ,  replied 5 months ago
Phone call session started
This is not a complicated issue. I'm trying to gain access to pull out the Heater/AC control module on the middle dash of my 2000 Passat. The vehicle has standard transmission. I have the replacement in hand ( a plug in ) . I pulled off the fake wood grain trim around this module ( and the CD player immediately above) and there were 4 screws holding the module to the frame. The module is "loose" , more or less. However it cannot be pulled fwd as there are four black tabs that were between the screws (removed) and the white plastic frame of the control model.So my question is .. what do I need to remove to allow me to access/disconnect the Heater/Ac control module.Getting pics not easy .. I have a phone camera but it is all fuzzy. The interior is similar to the picture I found online , except above the heater/AC control module is a CD player in my vehicle. There are other differences as well, on the lower side.Mike

i understand . it has been a while since i have had one out. i do recollect that to make things easier the radio and the cd player needs to be removed to gain access to the cables behind. but at the black i do believe that i have used a small flat blade screwdriver to shove the a/c unit one way to get it unclipped or pushing the tabs . that is why i have asked a pic so i can see what you are seeing!!

what I understand is that I need to remove the radio and cd player ... any simple way to do this from the front ?

you need the special keys to remove .

see attachment.

once you get the keys and the radio components out then you can unhook the cables and then the a/c controller.

canadian tire should have these keys !!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If you still need help please do not hesitate, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,I'll check to see if the 'special keys' are in my glove box, then try the Cdn Tire route if necessary. I'll be more that happy to give you a high rating if this works out.Mike

doing my best to help out!!

hello any new information or updates?

thanks

I have only had time to check to see if 'keys' were in my car. (No) This weekend I hope to make progress. Not much daylight after work hours here in Ontario.

the same with ohio just the other side of the pond!!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician