VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Son replaced starter. ran fine. when he tightened the

Customer Question
Son replaced starter. ran...

Son replaced starter. ran fine. when he tightened the battery cable he shorted the poisitive to ground. now i have no spark. when cranking, i get one spark when iinitially cranking then none.

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

Neither

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

1996 passat 2.8l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

A shop down the road replaced a crankshaft sensor and no spark still

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
11/11/2017
VW Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Thank you. Have you check the fuses yet? There are fuses guaranteed that blew.

checked and none blew
is that all i get for $5

no thats not all you get.

what is the next step? am i expected to pay again? not sure what to do next
VW Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** looks like the other expert has left the chat. Perhaps I can help. Power from the battery goes to the ignition switch. First make sure the battery is still good. Next you should double check all of the wires that connect to the positive battery cable and make sure they are all connected and secure. Next I would check the voltage to the ignition switch or substitute a known good ignition switch for testing.

Let me know what you find.

Marty

Hi, just checking in. Did you get this sorted out?