VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a '97 Rialta. The instrument cluster is dead. We have…

Customer Question
I have a '97...

I have a '97 Rialta. The instrument cluster is dead. We have had rodents get into the wiring which we are repairing but now we've had a short circuit affect the instruments and it is totally unresponsive. Can it be saved?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Yes and yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 VW?

It's a Rialta RV. Built on a 97 Eurovan chassis with a Winnebago living area.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eurovan yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a mechanic who is working on it. He's taken the cluster out and has seen a couple of scorch marks. He thinks its totally shot and we'll have to find a replacement in a junk yard.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2017
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Hello Bill

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need a vin # of the vehicle to get the factory information.

second where was the wire damage ? pic of area?

and do you have the pic of the instrument cluster so i can see the burn marks too?

Thanks

Thank you on the explaination. let me do my thing !! note on this issue you have the premium service option may be needed due to copyrighted material like wiring diagrams and repair information

also i do need the pic of the cluster to see which style cluster you have . both sides front and the burn traces please

thanks

I will try to get you pictures of the cluster and get back to you.

thank you