VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have a question about ignition wire resistance for my 1985…

I have a question about...
I have a question about ignition wire resistance for my 1985 VW Scirocco. My Bentley manual states that spark plug wire resistance must be between 4800 and 7200 ohms. Both existing and new wires measure at 5100 ohms. So far, so good. The coil wire resistance must be between 1600 and 2400 ohms. Existing coil wire measures 7200 ohms. This is why I bought new wires. But the new coil wire also has a measured resistance of 7200 ohms. What’s going on here? Is the book wrong, or is this new wire really bad?
10/22/2017
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

the resistance value of ignition wires will depend on legnth of the wire . are you having an issue running the vehicle?

let me know!!

Thanks

The coil wire is about 2 feet long and the resistance is supposed to be between 1600 and 2400 ohms. The resistance I measured in both the existing and new coil wires is 7200 ohms. What I don’t understand, is if the spec calls for 1600 to 2400 ohms and the wire is at a resistance that much higher, what do I do?

are you having a running issue with the old wire?

I was getting a weak spark. But I discovered that the distributor and rotor or charred so some of the voltage leakage was occurring there. Testing the ignition cables was just an added precaution. But, yes the original reason for the work I’m doing on the vehicle is because I could not get it to start.

i would have to say that the wire is too much if the old wire is less than the new wire in resistance

anything else?

The old wire and a new wire have exactly the same resistance: 7200 ohms. And they are exactly the same length.

thanks for clarifying this . go with the new wire. bentley manual may have a misprint!!

does it run with the new wires?

Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
I have not tried it yet. I’ll let you know. Thanks!

my pleasure

Still not starting. Engine cranks slowly and there is no ignition. Dome light dims and flickers during cranking, so battery could be weak. Without load, it tests out at 12.6 volts.

sounds like a load test is needed on the battery and may be under load that the battery is failing.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician