VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

1988 Vanagon 2.1 manual trans I would like to bypass the

1988 Vanagon 2.1 manual transI...
1988 Vanagon 2.1 manual transI would like to bypass the ignition switch and load reduction relay so the headlights are on when ever I turn on the headlight switch. I don't want them turning off when I start. I have the relays installed so the full current does not go through the ignition switch. Any idea on how to d this? Thanks
10/20/2017
kyle swart

Hello my name is ***** ***** than you for using just answer. You could do a separate switch, relay, and harness. With the battery under the passenger seat, your not to far away. Not sure if it matters if its high beam or low beam operation that you want separate from the normal, that would make it slightly more complicated.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. Certified master auto technician
2003-2004, 2013-2015 Certified Volkswagen technician
VW and Audi technician, indpependent, 12 years.

I want all headlights - high and low beams, to bypass the ignition switch. Presumably, when you switch on the headlights, current flows from the switch through the ignition switch and then to the load reduction relay. I want to break that circuit, and have current go straight to the headlight relays (aftermarket), but to do this, I need to know either the headlight switch terminal or the wire color that goes to that terminal that sends current to the ignition switch. Bentley Manual is not helpful in determining this information. A separate switch is a clunky option, which I have considered, as there is a second battery under the driver's seat, with a manual switch that lets you select one or the other battery, or both, or none. But the cleanest setup would use the existing headlight switch. So what I really need is wire color or terminal on the actual headlight switch. Once I have that, I know what to do. Sorry for not making this crystal clear.RC
In the initial question, I said that I wanted to bypass the ignition switch and load reduction relay when I turned on the headlight switch. That means I don't want to add another switch. I will be happy to give you five stars if you can tell me which wire takes current from the headlight switch to the ignition switch (or possibly to the hi/low beam switch). I'll cut that wire and connect it to the wire that goes from the load reduction relay to the headlights, after separating that wire from the relay. The problem is that the headlight switch has a many-pin connector on it, so you can't simply pull off a wire and test it to see what happens. I figured someone at VW would have access to a decent wiring diagram. Bentley was not helpful. I'm not sure if the current path is headlight switch>ignition sw> load reduction relay> dimmer switch and then the headlights or headlight switch> dimmer switch> Ignition> load reduction and then the headlights. I should be able to figure this out, once I know what wire carries the current out of the headlight switch. Would you be able to tell me which wire this is? Thanks!
Hi Kyle,In your answer you missed that I want to use the factory headlight switch. I sent a clarification, and then a second one when it looked like the first didn't get to you. If you can identify the wire I'm asking about in the second clarification,, I'd be happy to give you five stars. If my followups are not getting through, here's the second one:In the initial question, I said that I wanted to bypass the ignition switch and load reduction relay when I turned on the headlight switch. That means I don't want to add another switch. I will be happy to give you five stars if you can tell me which wire takes current from the headlight switch to the ignition switch (or possibly to the hi/low beam switch).
I'll cut that wire and connect it to the wire that goes from the load reduction relay to the headlights, after separating that wire from the relay. The problem is that the headlight switch has a many-pin connector on it, so you can't simply pull off a wire and test it to see what happens.
I figured someone at VW would have access to a decent wiring diagram. Bentley was not helpful. I'm not sure if the current path is headlight switch>ignition sw> load reduction relay> dimmer switch and then the headlights or headlight switch> dimmer switch> Ignition> load reduction and then the headlights. I should be able to figure this out, once I know what wire carries the current out of the headlight switch. Would you be able to tell me which wire this is? Thanks!Rudy
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** you still need help with this?

Hi Marty,Yes, I do. Previous expert didn't carefully read my question. I wanted to use the existing headlight switch, not install another. What he missed is that parking lights and headlights are on two completely different circuits in that one switch. Parking lights current does not go through the load reduction relay, so to do what Kyle suggested would give me headlights but no parking lights or side indicators.But to help you have to know vanagon circuits, or have decent wiring diagrams available. In that case, it would be a relatively simple question. To clarify, I want to turn on the headlight switch and have it feed directly to the aftermarket relays that prevent the whole headlight load from going through the ignition switch. I suspect the current path is ignition switch>load reduction relay>headlight switch>hi/lo beam switch>headlight relays (aftermarket, one for hi and one for lo beam)>headlights. If this is correct, I would like to identify the wire that comes from the load reduction relay so I can cut it. I would then feed 12 volts from any available lug to the headlight switch through the cut wire. This would only be a small load, as the headlight current passes through the aftermarket relays.What wire or terminal on the headlight switch comes from the load reduction relay? If I am wrong about the current path, then what is the correct path and what wire can I attack to accomplish this? The Vanagon is needlessly complex. But I still like it! Hope you can figure this one out.
Just turned in for the night. I’ll reply back tomorrow with some information.

Good morning Rudy, the ignition switch sends power directly to the headlight switch on terminal X (black/yellow wire). Terminal X is your unloader circuit. The wire piggy backs at the headlight switch then goes to the unloader relay. If you want the headlights to remain on when starting the car but you want all other items on the unloader circuit to turn off you will need to remove the black/yellow wire from the headlight switch and replace the wire with a switched power feed. The black wire at the ignition switch is your terminal 15 circuit (switched power). You could run a wire from terminal 15 on the ignition switch over to terminal X on the headlight switch to have the headlights remain on when starting the car.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Just checking in. Did you receive my reply?

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Hi Marty,Just got home. An excellent answer, many thanks. I'll get this done tomorrow.Thanks again,Rudy

You're quite welcome.

Marty
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician