VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

OH!!. IT IS A GOLF 2.0 GTI 4. iTS DONE 136K, SUDDENLY

OH!! I AM DEVASTA\TED...

OH!! I AM DEVASTA\TED. IT IS A GOLF 2.0 GTI MARK 4. iTS DONE 136K, SUDDENLY STARTED RUNNING ROUGH, SPENT £500 3 MONTHS AGO FOR NEW CAMBELT & WATER PUMP. JUST BEEN TOLD THAT THERE IS ZERO COMPRESSION ON ONE OF ITS CYLINDERS. I DONT WANT TO GIVE UP ON THE CAR YET BUT NOT SURE WHAT TO DO. PLEASE ADVICE AS I CAN SPEND A BIT MORE TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM IF IT IS A SIMPLE ONE.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you metered out the ignition system?

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN. I thought it was the coil pack but the garage just told me no compression after they put it on the check. The engine runs (I brought it home) but runs rough!!

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your GTI?

2002 normally drives beautifully and the bodywork is still immaculate. They suggested I should scrap it but I DONT WANT TO!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GTI yourself? What have you tried so far?

I AM NOT!! I need help from someone to help me fix it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Initially they changed the temp sensor bcos it was not reaching 90 degrees, then they changed timing belt & water pump now no compression on one cylinder - that's all

10/19/2017
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic

Hi im kevin .having no compression means you have a mechanical issue within the engine .the engine creates compression by closing intake and exhaust valves in sync when piston is rising in cylinder.if the valves are open or another issue causes compression to leak you will have a missfire .the next step is to have cylinder head removed to find the cause .the possible causes are broken /damaged valves or piston damage

THANKS

No problem please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Ok I will look for someone to check this, I think considering the value of the car, it may be uneconomical to repair the engine.

I agree unfortunatly that is likely to be the case .please remember to rate my service

Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic