VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Passenger side airbag light illuminated. Dealer says total…

Customer Question
Passenger side airbag light...

Passenger side airbag light illuminated. Dealer says total replacement needed. This is 2nd airbag problem as drivers side was replaced 8 mos. ago <350 miles since then.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?

To that I can see.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2006 jetta

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to dealer as airbag issues are tricky.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car has only 34k miles

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
10/18/2017
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago
kyle swart

Hello my name is ***** ***** than you for using just answer. Do you have an exact description of what current fault codes are in the airbag control module? thanks.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. Certified master auto technician
2003-2004, 2013-2015 Certified Volkswagen technician
VW and Audi technician, indpependent, 12 years.

No, I aren't picked car up yet. Just got call from dealer saying what they found.
That should be haven't picked up
Still there?
I have to go pick up the car now b4 they close. Have to go now. How do I get back to this?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

still here. we can continue once you get your paperwork.

I have codes from dealer but not sure if it is this incident or previous.
Actually it is from previous & is for front passenger side. Now seat passenger side is showing error.
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

There was a update on that car, to remove one of the connectors from under the seats from the side airbags and hardwire it. However, to ensure that is related to your issue, I will need the fault codes. 69-8-02 was the number. I would love to see pics of the recommended repair estimate.

They are getting me a written estimate tomorrow via email. I may be able to get the codes for this repair also. Older repair lists vag01336. Error type 1 upper lint exceede. Err type 2 Intermittent.
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

I will see if they can provide. Did last info I sent help? Err codes seemed to be a different format.
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

Let me go thru the available info I have, check it against the fault you have given me, and get back with you. The tsb i was referring to, says codes 01217, and 01218, which would be unrelated. What is your main objective with this question? I am assuming you want to verify the validity and accuracy of their estimate?

VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

Not really seeing anything relating to a vag 01336 code.

Will try to get codes tomorrow fr dealer.
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

In fact, 01336 is a data bus code.

VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

ok thanks.

Hello again. Responding to your question about validity of estimate. I believe the estimate is accurate, I was just trying to see if their diagnosis was legit or if other factors involved. Sounds like other than wiring bulletin this is solution. These airbags have about a 10+yr lifespan until sensors go off. Car is 2006, bought new in fall 05. Since safety issue can’t ignore. 8 airbags in the car so I could be in for a lot of expense if I keep the car. A shame as only 29533 miles & excellent shape. Garage kept, etc.,
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

Im not sure what information they are feeding you, but in my career working strictly on vw and audi products of 15 years, I have never replaced an airbag that was not deployed, unless it was under a recall. If you want me to provide an accurate assessment, I will need images of all documentation. Parts, labor, diagnostic printout, etc. Right now something sounds very shady on their part.

vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced