VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Have a 2004 vw Jetta TDI turbo diesel (bew) just replaced

the turbo, two injectors, water...
have a 2004 vw Jetta TDI turbo diesel (bew) just replaced the turbo, two injectors, water pump, timing belt, and cam shaft. Runs awesome now. My concern now is that it has burned a quart of oil in 200 miles. What could be wrong? Where do I start to figure out what is wrong or which way to go?
10/14/2017
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic

Hi im kevin can i have vin so i can pull up engine details

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3VWSR69M14M130652

Ok so there was no oil usage issues previous to work ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A small one yes. Around every 5000 miles we would change the oil in the car and it would have burned a gallon of oil between each oil change. Now since the work it is like a quart every 200-400 miles

How much oil in boost pipes ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I asked my husband and he said alot. So I asked him for exact amount and he said it's got oil in it but not sure how much

If it has alot of oil this is likely from the turbo where was turbo sorced from ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you talking about previously? Are we still talking about before all the work was done or are we back to talking about the burning of the oil?

Talking about now the burning of the oil .is the currently much oil in the intake system ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am under the assumption that when my husband checked the oil yesterday before he went to work the oil was low by a quart.

Ok the first thing we need to do is check that the new turbo isnt an issue and isnt allowing oil to leak past seal .the second is to check that there is no oil in the fuel filter as its quite common for the tandem pump to leak internally and mix engine oil in with fuel

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are running the car now and with the oil fill cap off my husband is saying that it has an extreme amount of blow by he is wandering maybe is it bad piston rings or bad valve seets

Ok i would first replace pcv valve witch i believe in this model is part of cam cover to see if this lowers pressure if this doesnt cure you will have a piston ring issue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My husband was thinking the same thing also but it does not look like this be pcv can be replaced it looks as though it is permanently mounted to the valve cover. My husband said he has never seen anything like that, no filter or damper of any kind

You have to replace complete cover no other option .this needs to be done first

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh wow. My husband face is priceless complete shock but that would be our cheaper option and worth trying. Have you ever heard of CerTech or used this product?

Ive heard of it ,never personally tried it .its worth a shot you certainly have nothing to lose in trying

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By replacing the valve cover with a new one. Is there pcv components that are built within the valve cover that could be bad, stuck open, etc?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By replacing the valve cover with a new one. Is there pcv components that are built within the valve cover that could be bad, stuck open, etc? Also, the car only smokes blue when you first crank it up

The pvc valve itself is part of the cam cover .they normally have the rubber diaphram inside that gets damaged .but its all enclosed you cant actually see it .the oil on start up sounds like valve seals ,the trouble you have is if you run with raised pressure it will weaken other seals through the excess pressure

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what do you recommend to do, just a valve cover or have all of the valves reworked

The trouble you have is if you have excessive blow by and its not the cam cover in effect you will need an engine overhaul as you apoear to have leaking valve seals also .i would try the car-tech and go from there at least if you get improvement you will know its a mechanical issue likely with piston rings

Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you so much. Will start with your suggestion and go from there. I hope this works.

No worries .let me know how you get on

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I come back to you once we figure something or have more questions about this issue

Of course

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Awesome thank you so much.

No worries

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was wondering, thinking out loud. Is it possible that the oil that we think was burned up actually isn't? The reason I ask is because during the work above we also drained all of the oil out of the car, cleaned the oil pain real good and refilled car with oil. Could the burned oil we think is burned actually what someone calls use not putting enough oil in the car. From the time we rebuilt the car, drained all the oil, put new oil in we have been 735 miles in the car and have had to put oil in it 3 times. But, last night drove the car almost 100 miles and the oil never dropped it was where it was when he checked the oil before he drove the car. This was just me thinking out load.

Its possible .maybe drive car a few more miles before committing to any work

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you possibly know how many gallons of oil my car holds if it was drained Bone dry by chance?

Car holds 4 litres or 4.2 quarts

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is the capacity for a flush? We are just trying to brain storm ;). Sorry. The turbo was bone dry, the oil pan was bone dry and when you put fresh oil in he only put a whole gallon in the car. Drove 200 miles and realized it was 1 quart low. He did this 3 times. He checked the oil, drove car 86 miles checked again and oil did not drop.

That's correct that's the total from compleatly empty

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic