VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 2004 vw Jetta TDI turbo diesel (bew) just replaced…

I have a 2004 vw...
I have a 2004 vw Jetta TDI turbo diesel (bew) just replaced the turbo, two injectors, water pump, timing belt, and cam shaft. Runs awesome now. My concern now is that it has burned a quart of oil in 200 miles. What could be wrong? Where do I start to figure out what is wrong or which way to go?
10/14/2017
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician

Have you done a cylinder leakage test and a compression test yet ??

I have not. Do not even know how to do those tests. Also, I was asked to tell you that it also has blowby on the valve cover back.into the air intake. Please help me figure this out. I have just sent over $2000 to replace everything above now this.

Who is checking the vehicle ??and ask them if they have done a cylinder leakage test yet ?? and why was the camshaft replaced ??

My husband. I asked him before I even responded to your question. The camshaft was replaced because there was no power to the car. Looked into the issue and had vw in town look and they told us the camshaft needed to be replaced. Also when you look at the camshaft before we replaced it the old one was worn out.
Camshaft needed to be replaced according to a dealership in town due to the cat having no power at all. While the car was broken down decided to Everything (turbo, water pump, timing belt, 2 injectors) but the reason for the breakdown repairs is the camshaft. Car is running great, has awesome power but the burning of the oil is worrying us. 1 quart in around 200 miles

Yeah thats too much oil when the camshaft was replaced where the lifters damaged at all??

2 of them were damaged
Number 1 exhaust and number 3 exhaust were damaged

OK what you will need to have done is have a cylinder leakage test done in every cylinder to see how much leakage you have in every cylinder they all should hold air and not bleed down too much if you have one that does you will need to have the piston rings replaced in that cylinder usually we do piston ring jobs to take care of this concern . I hope this help

Please dont forget to provide feedback for the help provided thank you

What tools are needed to do a cylinder compression test? Where can these tools be inquired at? How do you do a compression test

A compression test and a cylinder leakage test are 2 different test you can find a local tool store and see if they sell them i recommend doing a cylinder leakage test first but you will have to get one that can do the test for a diesel motor because you have glow plugs not spark plugs. I hope this helps .

Do you believe doing something like this will help the issue and if you had to guess how much do you think something like this could cost? Husband is worried that the head needs to be rebuilt and something else and thinks it's going to cost $2000 and I am just sick to stomach thinking about it and wanting to make sure I make the right decision. I pray this is an easy fix

Usually when a car burns that much oil its not a easy fix sorry for the bad news , have the test done and you will know what the issue is either a cylinder head issue or the piston rings need to be replaced which is also a big repair , the test i have listed are about a $125 per test done by a repair shop each . Please dont forget to provide feedback i will still help you on the issue after the feedback/rating thank you

vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
basically I need to run the cylinder leakage test and a compression test and go from there before doing something else. Where do I find steps on how to run these tests?

here is a link on the leak down test only difference is you will need to use the glow plug holes not the spark plug ones listed on here because you dont have spark plugs

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-maintenance/car-maintenance-archive/how-to-do-a-leakdown-test

Link for compression test

sorry wrong one for compression test heres the link for that

To perform a diesel compression test, use the following procedures:

1. Remove all injectors or glow plugs. ...
  2. Install the compression gauge in the recommended opening. ...
  3. Disconnect the fuel shut-off solenoid to disable the fuel injection pump.
  4. Crank the engine and note the highest reading on the gauge.
Perfect. Will start with these 2 tests. What kind of tools would you say we need

a diesel compression tester and a cylinder leakage tester for a diesel

basically, need to see if and where the air leakage is coming from and replace the one with leakage
This is just for me to know. How long do you think a car burning that much oil can run before major damage? Should I have him park the car til we can run the tests?

Just keep an eye on the oil level and then you will be ok but recommend for you to check it soon