VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

2002 golf tdi. smoke. Intermittent miss between idle and

Customer Question
2002 golf tdi. White smoke...
2002 golf tdi. White smoke. Intermittent miss between idle and 1700 rpm. The miss seems less likely to occur when accelerating hard.
Within the month I've replaced injectors with rebuilds from kermatdi, adjusted injector quantity to 5 per kermas suggestion, and checked timing with the ross-tech hex-can cable (it was 45 to 48)
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
10/10/2017
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago
kyle swart

Hello my name is ***** ***** than you for using just answer. Has the vehicle had any overheat condition, and is the smoke white or bluish white? thanks.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. Certified master auto technician
2003-2004, 2013-2015 Certified Volkswagen technician
VW and Audi technician, indpependent, 12 years.

No overheat. Not using coolant. No oil in coolant. I've used just shy of a quart in 2000 miles. I would say the smoke has no tint to it.
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago

well if its white-ish its definitely not fuel. Hows your turbocharger?

I can't say for sure. How would you like me to check it?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago

Also, how much smoke are we talking about here? If its a lot, I would see how much oil you have collected in the bottom of the intercooler. If its pouring out everywhere when you pull the hose I would say the turbo is shot. However, that usually does not cause a misfire, unless the fan inside the turbo is starting to hang up.

It's worst when it's cold. After 15min there is less. I can see it plainly when driving 50 to 60 mph. Hard to describe the amount but there's plenty of it
Also forgot to mention the colder it is the more cranks it takes to start the engine
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago

Ok, I would definitely check that oil amount in the intercooler. If there is a lot of oil, next You can remove the intake pipe that goes from the airbox, down behind the intake manifold and to the turbo. With it removed, you can check the play in the shaft with your finger, and, with a mirror, also inspect the intake side of the vanes for any physical damage.

I will have to get back to you in a couple days. Is there potential for major damage if I drive it the rest of the week?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago

typically, no. If the smoke gets ridiculous, i would stop driving it. If the turbo completely fails, and it is the cause, you will know. They have zero power without it.

VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 2 months ago

Hopefully the information I supplied helped. Please leave me a 5 star rating, if you do not feel I deserve a 5 star rating, please let me know ahead of time and I will make sure I have done all that I can to assist you, thank you.

kyle swart
kyle swart
kyle swart