VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 2002 VW Cabrio. The power windows go up and down…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 VW Cabrio. The power windows go up and down only by using the key in the driver door. They go up and down freely, and can stop at any point-- as they are supposed to to. But, power window buttons in car do not work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses?

Yes, I don't see any blown or missing fuse. But there is problem with the fuse and relay box-- relays keep falling out of it, and the whole box is kind of loose-- can't figure out how to secure it. I have kept the 2 relays that have fallen out, but don't have a diagram to show where they go and what they do.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cabrio yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, trying to deal with these electrical issues myself, because 4 mechanics have told me they don't want to deal with it, and ---it is an old car, not worth the price a dealer would charge to fix it. ( I know by experience).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, maybe it will help if I give quick history of the trouble. First electrical problem was cruise control stopped working-- ignored it. Then power mirrors, power windows, door locks, heated seats, cruise control-- last thing, turn signals and hazard lights. The power windows and door locks were diagnosed as needing "new modules' , each of which would cost about $500. Decided to live with it as is, but can't pass inspection with no turn signals or hazard lights. All issues seem related to the fuse box that won't stay in place and in one piece, and relays that keep falling out. Mechanics look at it and don't want to bother. I think if I had a complete diagram showing fuses, relays, numbers and what they do, I could get at least the turn signals and hazard lights to work again.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: VW
10/4/2017
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

Joe i do need a vin # of the vehicle to get the factory wiring diagram to assist!!

Thanks

vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced