VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I need the wire diagram for a fuel pump rely for a 1979 vw…

Customer Question
I need the wire...

I need the wire diagram for a fuel pump rely for a 1979 vw beetle

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

? not sure it is a bit of a mess

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fuuel pump works

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I need to know the connector pins for replacing the rely ,, as the one in the car was all roted how much does this cost\

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
10/3/2017
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 8 months ago
Martin, auto electrical

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

The relay cost $64.23 and the part number is ***** 332 514 120 from Bosch or E bay also has them on the same part number.

The wires connect to the terminals on the relay as follow:-

85:- One wire brown from the body, earth or ground wire.

86 :- Two white wires one from the engine control module terminal 4 and one to the cold start valve.

86a :- One wire red/black to the self starter on terminal 50.

86b :- Two white wires one from the relay to the intake air sensor terminal 36 and one to the engine control module on terminal 20.

86c :- One wire to the ignition coil on terminal 15.

88a :- Two wires white one from the air intake sensor terminal 39 and one from the EGR valve.

88b :- Two wires white one from the engine control module terminal 10 and one wire from a resistor block near the relay.

88c :- One white wire from the Auxiliary air regulator.

88d :- One wire red/blue to the fuel pump motor.

88y and 88z red wires directly from the battery.

I tried to copy the diagram but it does not upload so I hope you will understand how the wires connect please let me know how you fare.

Greatings,

Martin.

ok I have 2 of these cars, (1979 VW beetle convertible) one is a parts car. under the back seat was a single relay, with 5 prongs. there is a double relay just below the rear windshield on the passenger side, near the ECM. but the one under the back seats operates the fuel pump, it has a wire for power, another wire black in harness, and a third wire seems to go to the coil? (not Sure where the 3rd one goes). I put just a regular relay and I had it working but it was like a jump and burned out the relay, plus it was leaking gas, I think too much pressure. How do I solve this. Oh and the other parts car which does not have an engine, but has the same relay hook up
I do not want to call, as of yet. does my above remarks make sense?

The relay close to the ECU is the fuel pump relay. The relay that I have always worked with has eleven terminals. Might be some conversion on your car.

Greetings,

Martin.

Hmm Both cars have the other relay under the rear seat driver side it has 4 wires, power, coil, one I do not know, and ground to body

The relay on the other side is the fuel pump inhibitor relay.

Greetings,

Martin.

The relay on the other side is the fuel pump inhibitor relay.? ok what wires are connected to this. I see a ground, a power, another wire black in harness with power, and another wire in separate harness, I have no clue where is goes. This relay was rotted so I could not see where the wires and do not know if any wires are missing. The car starts and then stalls,, no idle, gas pedal does nothing. it is hooked up.. car was running then stopped running.. we noticed fuel leaking when it ran, I drove it down the street, it lacked power but drove. then parked it fixed leak, then no run. noticed the relay under the seat we had jumped, burned out, I guess I need to know how to hook that up .. the is no pulse light at the fuel injectors that i see, unless I am testing it wrong

Perhaps the ignition fuse is blown fuse number 12. The inhibitor relay is connected inline on the wire from the double relay 88d which is the power supply to the fuel pump wire. So the current will flow from the double relay on terminal 88d to the relay on terminal 86. On terminal 30 there should be ignition power only when the ignition is on this can be controlled via a alarm system. On terminal 85 ground. Terminal 87 should go directly to the fuel pump. I think the reason why the car will not run on is because the ignition fuse is blown or not making contact on both ends of the fuse.

I hope you find this information of value should you need more please do not hesitate to ask.

Martin.