VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

When I start it up the check engine light flashes for a few…

Customer Question
When I start it...

When I start it up the check engine light flashes for a few minutes then stays solid

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It blinks for the first few minutes then it stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2001 vw Passat wagon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just checking fluid levels and have not been driving it very much at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that all

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: VW
9/29/2017
VW Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Good afternoon, I hope you are having a good day!When the check engine light came on did you notice a difference in drive-ability?It is normal for the CEL to flash a few times when the car is started, but if it consistently flashes after you start the car and then goes solid that means there is a hard fault that set in the control module.Do you have access to a scan tool? Or a parts store?
The drive-ability seems to have a very slight stutter while CEL is flashing after startup but then it runs smooth. I have smelled like burning oil after shutting off the car also.

Ok that is good to know,

Is it a 4cylinder or 6? Volkswagens are notorious for valve cover cylinder seals leaking down into the spark plug tubes. If it has a stutter/hesitation then there is probably a misfire of some kind, most likely we have a spark plug that got contaminated and is causing a misfire.

We can pinpoint this more accurately if you are able to get to an autozone or parts store and get the codes read and give me an update

VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 10 months ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

Do you still need any help with this issue?