VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

It turns on for a couple of seconds then shuts off, the

Customer Question
It turns on for...

It turns on for a couple of seconds then shuts off, the symbol of the little vw on the dash flicks on and off and so does the red battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i just left it alone its at home

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I recently had the timing belt and water pump replaced just a few days ago, the car ran just fine until today

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 10 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

you have an immobilizer issue where the key , the reader coil at the ignition switch ,or electronic issue with wiring or modules .

did the key that you used fall apart in pieces?

have you tried the spare key to see if the spare starts the vehicle?

when you turn the key on does the check engine light come on in the instrument cluster?

please let me know!!

Wolfgang