VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Have replaced coil. Condensor is connected to negative

Customer Question
Have replaced coil. Condensor...

Have replaced coil. Condensor is connected to negative terminal. Harness in-line fuse and solenoid are all connected to positive o coil. i removed the cable running from the center of the distributor and turned the engine over. no spark.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

1968 VW beetle. No check engine light. I do not believe the engine is getting a spark.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced coil. Replaced fuel pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should I see a spark from the center of the coil.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
9/27/2017
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

did you hold the center wire about 1/2 " from it and see with another person cranking the engine over for spark?

thanks

no spark.
I disconnected the center wire from the distributor and held it 1/2 inch from where it enters the distributer. I also tried placeng a screwdriver the same distance from it. Also attached a test light. Negative clip to a bolt and held next to it. I am obviously a novice.

ok do you have a test light ? if so go to the coil and connect the alligator clip to ground and the other end to the negative side of the coil and crank the engine over is the light flickering? (negative side is the electrical wire on the - of the coil not the high voltage wire)

thanks

It does flicker.
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Ok check if you have spark at the coil itself 1/2 away. Sorry for the delay family emergency
At the center pole I do not. Does this only spark when it is turned over? I may be interested in doing an Instant Messenger or facetime video chat. Is that a possibility. I think it would be a lot easier than all the emails if you agree. What would be the charge.
Sorry to her of your emergency. I hope all is well.
her=hear

let me know if you want to continue with the premium service!!

vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced