VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a problem with my Golf mk3. 1996. Yeah, im fixing it…

Customer Question
Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a problem with my Golf mk3

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

1996

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah, im fixing it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My remote doesn't recognise the central locking anymore. What should I do?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: VW
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/26/2017
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 10 months ago
kyle swart

ello my name is ***** ***** than you for using just answer. Have you checked the voltage, or replaced, the fob batteries? thanks.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. Certified master auto technician
2003-2004, 2013-2015 Certified Volkswagen technician
VW and Audi technician, indpependent, 12 years.

my friend changed the batteries in fob, because it didn't function correctly
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 10 months ago

Ok. Has the fob ever been wet? do you have any more fobs for the vehicle? Do the power locks still function manually with the switch on the dash or with the key in the door? thanks.

Fob hasn't been ever wet. And yes car doors still function when key is turned manually in the door. But what I noticed was that when I pressed the fob/remote the central locks pump didn't work.
But I don't have any more fobs for the car
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 10 months ago

does the central locks pump work when your manually locking or unlocking all doors?

It seems like the problem might be in the car's "brain"
Or something like that
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 10 months ago

if the batteries were replaced and were properly installed, i would first try a reprogramming procedure. Its nice when you have more then one fob, easier to identify if that is the issue. On the newer cars (99 and up) you can actually go into the module and see if the fob is sending a signal, even if it is not programmed to the car. Your car is all manual. I need to get my reprogramming procedure from home, so it will be a bit before i can get back to you, if thats ok.

Okay, but does that cost me more money?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 10 months ago

No. I used to have it memorized, but its been awhile.

Okay, I'll wait
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 10 months ago
  1. Program the remote by inserting 1 key in the ignition switch to ON (not start)
  2. Close the doors, hood, trunk, etc.
  3. With 1 key in the ingition to ON, turn and hold another key in the driver's door lock to UNLOCK and hold for 15 seconds, or until you hear a beep, let go of the door key and let the key return to neutral.
  4. Press UNLOCK on each remote, you should now hear a beep.
  5. Turn the door key to UNLOCK, you should now hear another beep, remove all keys. The keyless entry is now set.
  1. Close the doors, hood, trunk, etc.
  2. Insert 1 key in the ignition switch to ON (not engine start).
  3. Turn and hold another key in the driver's door lock to UNLOCK and hold for 15 seconds, or until you hear a beep, let go of the door key and let the key return to neutral.
  5. Turn the door key to UNLOCK, you should now hear another beep, remove all keys.
  6. The remote should now unlock the doors.
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 10 months ago

try this in the meantime. If you do not have 2 keys, you can remove the drivers door handle and operate the lock actuator with a screwdriver.

Nope, it doesnt work.
I tried 3 times and followed your instructions step by step. Nothing works
When I hold the key in the unlock position for 15 seconds and press the remote, it recognises the car, but the central lock doesnt function
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 10 months ago

you have to return the key to the neutral position before you press the remote. If the car beeps after you hold unlock with the key manually, for 15 seconds, with a key in the on position also in the ignition, the central locking is attempting to perform the programming. IF its not doing that, it may be a module issue. if it is doing that, the remote is probably faulty.

Well, that did not help. Same steps were available on youtube as you gave me. Wasted 5 bucks for chatting ��
Plus 23 bucks for you to answer me
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 10 months ago

I am doing the best I can to assist you, but not having 2 key fobs makes this issue much more difficult to diagnose. I have good key fobs just for this purpose. I do not receive any payment unless you satisfied. Whatever arrangement you have with just answer I have no hand in.