VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My daughter's 2004 VW Golf TDI has broken down in Buckeye.

Customer Question
My daughter's 2004 VW...

My daughter's 2004 VW Golf TDI has broken down in Buckeye. She looked at the radiator because the temp gauge indicated it was hot within minutes of her pulling over and shutting the car off. Radiator was empty, added coolant, leaked slowly from the bottom, saw metal shards in the fluid inside the radiator. I need advice on a good shop to have the car towed to, is it possible it is another problem besides the radiator?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?

I don't know how old the hoses are, bought the car used from a private party about two months ago. Could not where the actual leak, just that it appeared it was coming from the bottom of the radiator

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 VW?

Golf TDI

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing my vehicle myself. Looking for advice on how to find the right place to have it towed to, based on the symptoms. I am dealing with this from 145 miles away from the location of the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that after putting the coolant in, car was started up and drove about 5 miles before it broke down.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
9/26/2017
VW Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago
Michael Solis

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive world for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

To answer your first question, If you are looking for a good local mechanic shop to trust, the best place will be on google maps and searching for local shops and review all the reviews those shop have. If it is a 5 star very good reviews, then you can feel better about trusting that specific shop. google is the best way to find out about a certain business and its reputation.

As for your second question, Yes, it is possible you might have more issues than just the radiator. If the car overheats the first coolant part that will fail will be the radiator due to the hot heat it receives from the coolant system. There can be another issue possibly another leak or something else such as thermostat, water pump, head gaskets. Head gaskets are easily damaged if the engine coolant reaches to the hot.

VW Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you have any questions?

vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced