VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

The top won't go up or down did a reset and it worked for a…

Customer Question
The top won't go...

The top won't go up or down did a reset and it worked for a day. I had let it set over night to do reset again and it worked for a day. When using the four window button the windows did go down at different speeds then individual windows stopped at different times. Are the two problems connected?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

No. They stopped a year ago while stationed in Korea. I did the reset for the first time a couple weeks ago. I did replace the battery the first year in Korea.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2006 VW Beetle Convertible.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I already told you what I did. I want a permanent solution, not a temporary fix.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
9/25/2017
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 8 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The window system works in conjunction with the roof assembly.There are position switches for the windows as well as the roof assembly and if one of the switches is sending a false signal this issue here occurs.I have seen this several times with window motor faults,window position switch faults and roof position switch faults.Any of these acting up will cause an issue with the roof operating properly or at all.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set will help to diagnose and pinpoint the fault here.

If no codes are set the scan tool/computer is used to monitor the window position and roof position sensor/switches to locate the faulty sensor/switch needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician