VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Cruise control not working. 2012 passat 2.5 the cruise

Customer Question
Cruise control not working ...

Cruise control not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse? What size is your engine?

2012 passat 2.5 the cruise symbol and the speed locks in on the instrument cluster but car wont hold the speed

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked fuse

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: VW
its a 2013 passat not a 2012
9/25/2017
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 10 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need a vin # of the vehicle to get the factory information to assist!!

Thanks

1vwap7a33dv149036

can you double check the vin # please comes up invalid!!

thanks

1VWAP7A33DC149036

was a total scan test performed on the vehicle?

Yea scanner was put on it. No codes came up

you have the cruise switch on the stalk or on the steering wheel?

Its on the stalk. U can turn it on and off fine and when u press set it even lock in your speed on the cluster but wont hold speed at all

do the cruise speed numbers become large when it is set?

what happens if you hit resume?

Looks like the speed just comes up. Dosent look like it pops up big. But im not sure because i bought the car and cruise wasnt working ao i dont know what it looks like. I dont think i tried the resume

here is a pic of the cruise switch . the top toggle is the on off. then you see the resume on top and set on the bottom

try to see if the resume works. if so then the set button .

There is a chance you will need the stalk assy .

please do let me know when you test it out!!

Thanks

Will do

thanks

Resume does not work either
Ok so the numbers do not become big when pressed correct?
When set is pressed the speed comes up on cluster but does not get bigger
Ok without a scan test I say it's the stalk assy needs to be replaced scan test with either vag com or the factory scan tool and monitor that switch readings. Note some code readers will not read the steering column electronics module.
I know you said no codes but we need to pay attention with the rocker switch on the stalk with the scan tool. Hence a professional tool is needed to verify the switch is bad and replace