VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have replaced the battery and when I connect it the horn…

Customer Question
I have replaced the...

I have replaced the battery and when I connect it the horn engages and the ignition doesn't work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Its brand new

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2013 Beatle Convert

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replaced the old battery. It was weak.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: VW
Still waiting.
9/24/2017
VW Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. connect the battery then hit the lock then unlock on the key fob

The horn keeps blaring and pressing the key fob does nothing.

ok, then get in the vehicle and lock and unlock the doors manually

When the battery is connected the horn blares and the key doesn't work. No ignition lights, no door lock, nothing. Manually doing the door locks didn't work either.

did you try pushing the panic button?

Where is that? Are you joking?

is there a red button on your fob?

I'll hook up the battery and try the red button

ok

Horn still blares.

ok, well Ill open this up to the others so they can chime in. good luck

Ok. Might have to get towed to the dealership ☹️
Thanks for tryin!
I'm waiting for more advice.
VW Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 7 months ago
Michael Solis

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive world for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

I have an attempt you can make if it does not work I will opt out, do you have an after market alarm?

No. I don't think so. The car has only50,000 miles.
VW Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 7 months ago

Have you attempted battery disconnect touch the two terminals disconnected to battery for 10 seconds, then reconnect the battery?

The red and black cables that you connect to battery ?
VW Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 7 months ago

yes leave them disconnected from the battery and touch them together for 10 seconds.

No luck. The alarm horn still blares when battery is connected.
VW Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 7 months ago

ok all I have sorry, will opt out good luck!

Thanks for tryin Michael.
vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced