VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2006 vw jetta tdi. Right rear blinker works headlights are…

Customer Question
2006 vw jetta tdi. Right...
2006 vw jetta tdi. Right rear blinker works headlights are off. When I turn the headlights on the right rear blinker will blink 3 times then will no longer blink. I have a light out error on my dash. I just replaced all the rear bulbs.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: VW
9/24/2017
VW Mechanic: vwtech0405, VW Technician replied 7 months ago
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician

Good afternoon did this happen after the bulb replacement?

I replaced the bulb, because the dash light told me i had a light out. I checked the lights and that lamp was the only one. I replaced all 4 lamps. All the others work fine. It even works fine if I swap them around. Also replaced the lamp housing on the right rear, since it looked like it had been arching.
no thank you on phone call

Ok if the bulbs are good , and the bulb holder is good then you will need to inspect the fuse box located in the engine bay , pay close attention to fuse #16 make sure there are no hot marks on it , we have done a lot of fuse boxes for issues like this . I hope this helps . Please dont forget to provide positive feedback/rating for the help provided thank you

fuse 16 is fine. no hot marks

Did you use factory bulbs ??

the ones that were on there and the ones i replaced are factory

but the issue only happened after replacement of a bulb correct ?? you didn't have the issue before right just a blown bulb.

i don't know if the bulb i replaced "went out" or if the "arching" on the housing caused the bulb to fail. like i said it works, just not when the headlight are on.

How is the wiring on that side

it looks intact. i kept the hazards on and held the brake pedal down to see if there was excess heat on the wire. i also have moved each of the wires to see if any are loose. nothing.
the wires are all solid and no arching or fluttering.

for it to do what its doing it has to be back feeding some where

OK?

The issue you have is not common at all you are going to have to check the wiring from the bulb holder to the fuse box /headlamp switch you will need to do a voltage drop on the wires to see what circuit has the issue , since you have tried everything else this needs to be the next step . i hope this helps Pleas don't forget to provide rating/feedback thank you

vwtech0405
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician