Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

I have a 2005 Jetta VW I purchased recently. The headliner

I have a 2005 Jetta VW I purchased recently. The headliner was coming down, so I took the rest of it down, and scrubbed all of the foam and old glue off. The previous owner had recently tried spraying the liner up without scrubbing first, so there were a few spots that needed an electric sander to get it off completely. I purchased adhesive spray specifically for headliners, from an Advanced Auto, and followed directions to a T. I used completely new fabric (a printed medium weight cotton material). With the help of my boyfriend, we took all seats out, and took all handles, sun visors, and light covers down before starting. We even taped areas off, and covered other parts with a plastic table cloth. The temperature had been in the 60's when putting it up, and didn't get colder than the low 50's overnight. The next few days were in the 70's. Today the temp reached 90F, and now it is coming right back down, even the spots I knew I was more heavy handed with the glue! What do I do now?? Should I get some good ol modge podge, and decoupage it? The process would be this: sand off the adhesive I just put up. paint both surfaces that need adhesion (fabric and roof) with the modge podge glue, then let dry completely. then follow up with several layers of painting more of this glue directly over top of the fabric. People have done it to their car interior door panels, but I'm not sure how it would hold up on the interior roof, where there is the most heat/cold. Some have also used this method with other types of glue, just thinning it out with water first. Any ideas? It looked amazing for all of four days, after several hours of prep work. I have a before/after with the old and new liner pictured attached... before it started coming off. :( thank you!!

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

so what adhesive did you get ?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It was Headsup Ultra Grip. I was going to get 3M but they didn't have the right kind

some of that stuff is tricky, I dont know about the hodge podge, but the headliner I find most effective if you apply a layer on both let dry and then apply one light coat and then install, ill post a link below of some stuff I have used and had great luck with, but also with the fabric your using I know the fabric stores have a different type of adhesive that works even better with that so you may want to call them and see what they have as the material is a but different than the headliners

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Shop-27828-High-Strength-Heavy-Duty-Headliner-and-Carpet-Adhesive-20-oz-Aerosol-Can-Amber-L/39951712?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=837&adid=22222222227027725071&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=60944983298&wl4=pla-100009761458&wl5=9011062&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112343835&wl11=online&wl12=39951712&wl13=&veh=sem

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ok, thank you! Should I try just applying another light layer of this adhesive, to see if that will whole better? Or would you suggest I remove the adhesive I applied and start over with something else entirely?

you would have to take it down and its just so much work too, I would call the fabric shop to make sure if they dont have anything , try the double stick method listed above and then the light coating, I have had to take the headliners out completely sometimes and let them sit so gravity is my friend lol

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ok thank you very much for your help and time
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ugg I think you have to type something back so I can rate you, lol!

oh sorry about that, should be good to go, so even after you rate me we can still chat so if you run into anything else let me know, its all covered under the one fee