VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

The key will not go into the ignition. First time it has…

Customer Question
The key will not...

The key will not go into the ignition. First time it has ever happened. As I force it the radio goes on and the door chime goes off. but it feels like the key is not aligned with the grooves in the ignition. I have read the comments and tried a heavy straightened paper clip.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

No.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2006 VW Jetta TDI. just drove it home about 45 minutes ago and put it in the garage. then I went to go out again and the key would not go into the ignitioni.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just tried the paperclip in the ignition because I see the little shield over the entrance. Not really fixing it myself but it is Saturday afternoon at 330 pm and all the repair shops are closed - so I don't have much choice.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car works fine. I have no problems with the car expect this one thing which kind of prevents me from driving the car LOL.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: VW
9/23/2017
VW Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 10 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. you are going to need to have a new ket cut and programmed and depending on if the key cylinder is now messed up it may need replaced also