VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My tow truck operator needs a way to unlock the steering…

Customer Question
My tow truck operator...

My tow truck operator needs a way to unlock the steering wheel on a 2014 beetle TDI with electrical failure. It's my car.

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

It was fine until I parked for work on Thursday then when I walked out to go home, it was completely dead

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Battery change, jumping, jump box. VW set it up for tow to Dealership and dealership is expecting.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: VW
9/23/2017
VW Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician replied 11 months ago
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

You can try running a jumper wire to fuse 14 under the left side of the dash.

They can disconnect the steering shaft joint in the driver floorboard on the firewall.

Outside of that there is not much else to do with electrical failure and the things you have tried accept drag it onto the rollback with the wheels turned which can be done.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

VW Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician replied 10 months ago

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris