VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have an 05 vw Jetta 2.5 and it is stuck in 3 gear. No

Customer Question
I have an 05...

I have an 05 vw Jetta 2.5 and it is stuck in 3 gear

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?

No fluid leaks but is has like 184,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am I was thinking the shift solenoid

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It runs good for like 15 to 30 min then starts hard shifting then gets stuck in 3rd

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
9/23/2017
VW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

the transmission will lock in 3rd if it detects an internal fault

So

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug tube if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

VW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer