VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Just a quick question - i have an '07 jetta 2.5 with an

Customer Question
Just a quick question...

Just a quick question - i have an '07 jetta 2.5 with an intake leak, o rings are cheap and the replacement is easy so no issue there, I see lots of intakes for sale cheap which makes me wonder if the plastic intake is a common failure on these cars or if it is more commonly just the o rings or some other small item that fail - care has 236K

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

The hoses are all original and I do significant hiway on the weekend but strickly city during the week

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Doing it myself - just starting and thought I would look for
common issues before digging in

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope - thanks

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: VW
9/23/2017
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Hello I'm Wolfgang. I understand of the intake leak but what is the engine doing ? Please let me know. Thanks
the engine idle goes up to roughly 2000 rpms and drops back down (roller coaster - very consistent) - my cheap obd II readers reads intake leak - when it is hot if allowed to run for a period of time i get a loud whistle where is it is sucking air but have been uable to really look while the air cleaner/engine cover is on

sorry for the delay!!

remove the air cleaner and remove the hose from the valve cover and plug both ends . start the car and see if the surge goes away?

let me know!!