VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I am getting a #1 code on the odometer with arrows pointing…

I am getting a...

I am getting a #1 code on the odometer with arrows pointing to the right ... cannot figure it out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

No did not try resetting ... it just says 1 with arrows pointing to the right. Once I shut the car off and back on, it goes away.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2016 Golf TDI

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I am not. Thinking of taking over to firestone for a quick diagnostic check on the computer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's it ...

9/21/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this a manual or automatic transmission?

Is it shifting properly?

Let me know,thanks Pete

It is actually a dual shift and seems to be working ok. I also have "S" mode that I use on occasion in traffic when I need to move quickly into another lane or out of an exit.
I have not seen anything in the vehicle manual but think I may look through it again ... I have no idea though. I can also run over to firestone and have them hook it up to their computer. I called the VW dealer and talked with their tech, but they had no idea. It goes away once it turn car off and on.

That is an odd number with arrows as I do not see anything on it for this issue here.It is a good idea to have the codes read out with a compatible scan tool that can plug in and can communicate with all computers to see what codes are set.This will help to locate the fault.

It is very possible this is a service indicator indicating a component needs serviced but then again it may be a warning of a fault the cluster has detected needing looked into and repaired.

Having the codes checked is the best option to locate the fault here.If Firestone is unable to plug into your vehicle to communicate with the instrument cluster and all computers in your vehicle you will need to have this done by a shop or dealer that can read all computers to see what codes are set to locate and repair this issue.It may be an internal fault in the cluster itself needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician