VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

P0101, P300, P0302, P303, P304. Also running and lean

Customer Question
P0101, P300, P0302, P303...

P0101, P300, P0302, P303, P304. Also running rich and lean air/fuel mix. Already replaced the map sensor and checked the cat.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

Maf not mas sensor. Previous codes listed. I forget the lien and rich codes, but I read them with my scanner

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2011 VW Tiguan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tiguan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the maf as it was out of range and had emissions test

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Engine stahols

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: VW
9/19/2017
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 9 months ago
kyle swart

Hello my name is ***** ***** than you for using just answer. In this instance, I would check fuel pressure if the misfire issues are constant and you have low performance. If it only happens when cold, or most noticable when cold, I would check for carbon deposits on the intake valves. The high pressure fuel pump is known for failure. Hope this helps, thank you.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. Certified master auto technician
2003-2004, 2013-2015 Certified Volkswagen technician
VW and Audi technician, indpependent, 12 years.

I've only used this system once so I already requested another expert. I was unaware we could communicate back and forth. I live in south Texas, its almost never cold. I replaced the water pump and didn't see any carbon build up when I took off the manifold. When I hooked up my Vagcomm fuel pressure was within parameters.
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 9 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

since you have vag com can you post the entire fault log here so i can see what is going on ?

how long does it take till the vehicle stalls?

i do need a vin # to get the factory information to assist!!

Thanks

The only reason I asked for another expert earlier was because I've only used this system once and didn't know we could communicate back and forth.
I don't have a Vag com, I was just using a familiar term. I borrowed my buddies snap on reader/scanner since his does way more than mine (it was like a Venus or Verus or something).
I have deleted the codes every-time I do a a repair. P0171, P0172, P101, P300 with only 3 cylinders misfiring right now. I recently replaced the water pump and didn't see enough carbon build up to effect the performance on the intake manifold.
The engine only seems to stall when i goes into closed loop, most notably during breaking. I checked the hose from the manifold to the brake booster and it was a little rough so I spliced and reconnected. That was a couple days ago and now I'm shooting p0101 again. I already swapped out the MAF sensor, but the last one didn't look that dirty.
Engine generally stalls for about 5 minutes and then starts back up for a short distance before going out again.
The ECU update was performed in Sept of 2014 VIN VWGAV7AX7BW525191. I've taken it to a non-dealer Euro garage, but they couldn't figure it out either.
Does it start right away after stall?
It starts up again a couple minutes later, but soon there after stalls again. I'd say 3 - 5 minutes on average.
I'm waiting for Vw to get back online. There can be 3-4 things. I do need from you the ecu part # and software level from the scan tool to narrow down the possibilities for the stalling.
I believe the part# ***** ECU is 06J-906-027-GM. Last software update was 9/14 after the last update was released 7/14
Was the reprogramming for a recall?
When I called VW they said it wasn't a recall, it was an update. I checked the VIN through VW to confirm the update was completed.
Ok. The issue is the low pressure fuel pump and the fuel pump control module. You replace both because the fuel pump takes out the control module and that will cause the stall.Monitoring fuel pressure to verify this. Low fuel pressure has to be 3.5 bar to 5 bar.
Low fuel pressure will cause misfires and the lean fault.Note you may have a compounded issue here
Why is the car running a rich air mix code also? That's what was confusing me
Misfire causing I burned fuel hence rich exhaustion
I pulled the vacuum hose off the regulator and I didn't see any fuel. When I hooked up my manual gauge it starts off at 72 psi in the on position without car running and then slowly drops (it might be a slow leak in my gauge, it's a little older). When I run the car it's at about 48 psi and when tap the throttle it lowers by about 5 psi. I don't know the exact math, but I think that comes close to 3.5 - 5 bars, 48 on the low side and 70 on the high.

so keep the car running and drive it around and see what the pressure is when it stalls i bet it will be very low to no pressure!!