VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have VW Touareg 2008 V6. Engine Vibration like mobile

Customer Question
phone vibration mode when you...
I have VW Touareg 2008 V6. Engine Vibration like mobile phone vibration mode when you touch engine.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
9/19/2017
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you feel any other engine perfomance issues other than the vibration?

Little less power some times
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you have the check engine light on?

No Light
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Does the vibration occur more when engine is cold, warmed up or all the time?

All the time
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you hear any rattling or unusual noises from the engine too or just the vibration?

Just vibration
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

One more thing, does the vibration occur when vehickle is in park, drive , neutral or dioes not matter?

Its in Parking, neutral and more in reverse. In Drive mode with brake little vibration. And on driving on road..smooth.
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

The symptoms you are experiencing with no malfunction light or noise can be caused by a worn engine mount or harmonic balancer.

Engine mount is good as per mechanic. No noise with Pulley or Harmonic balance. Mechanic did some research on this car.
1. He tested all coils and spark plugs OK
2. Cylinder 4 and 6 are low compression 120 120 120 85 120 90
3. He found air sucks from oil cap and changed engine top part PCV.. still no chnage in Vibration.
4. Found only one error P119A
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

The compression on two cylinders is low but if that was your problem the engine light would have came on. Just checked the codes provided by the manufacture and P119a is not a code from this vehicle.

This code from Launch X431
DTC : P119 A
Description : Fuel Preasure Sensor : Malfunction
State : Upper Limit Exceeded
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Is this code present in pending or current codes?

Its current code
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

And the engine light is off?

No engine light at all from last 1 Year
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

If there is a code in the current codes the check engine light should be on. The code for upper limit exceed for fuel pressure sensor can point towards a fuel pressure issue. Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Vibration related to fuel pressure?
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

No, according to the info you have provided the problem you are experiencing is from an mechanical component, not an electrical component as the engine light is not on. Fuel pressure issue will not give you this vibration. It will give you a misfire or skip plus you will notice strange smell from exhaust.

I mean I am changing part for fuel pressure sensor.What can be issue for vibration?
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

The vibration you are experiencing can be caused by an external component like an engine mount. Even if there is no play/ crack in the mount, it can stioll cause vibration if worn.

As I said the vibration is more on reverse .
And at 50km speed.
VW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

More info is needed to pinpoint this issue. I will opt out and let another expert assist you.

VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago
kyle swart

Hello my name is ***** ***** than you for using just answer. There is a bearing in the driveline that is very common-failure on the touaregs and porsche cayennes. It is most noticable in reverse and while driving. The dealer will tell you that you have to replace the whole shaft, but there is an aftermarket kit that is bolt in that is much stronger than the original. Hope this helps, thank you.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. Certified master auto technician
2003-2004, 2013-2015 Certified Volkswagen technician
VW and Audi technician, indpependent, 12 years.

Hi,Vibration on idle, and more on reverse. Smooth on drive. When it reaches 50km. It starts Little vibration and goes after 60.
Update: mechanic told me drive shaft bearing is good.
Propeller shaft bearing also good
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

Ok. Thats all I have for assistance, an issue like this will be difficult without hands on, Ill opt out and let others assist you, thanks.

VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

The low compression in 4 and 6 can cause this vibration due to the fact that those 2 cylinders are wear in supplying power . what happens if you add little oil in the cylinder 4 and 6 and perform a compression test again do the values go up?

please do let me know!!

thanks

Thank for taking issue.
I will do test, which oil i have to use in cylinder ? adding oil by removing spark plugs ?
Can you make sure, low compression will make Vibration ?
I have other BMW 4 cylinder, it has 75 in all cylinder and works fine.
My self having Launch Creader VII + and I can go to mechanic having Launch smart tab updated software.

yes correct normal engine oil just a squirt or 2 .

120 120 120 85 120 90 is you compression readings the 85 and 90 are about 25% less than the other 4 so your power while running will have less in those 2 cylinders. if the compression was all the same you would not have an imbalance at all and should run smooth . with your readings the other 4 cyls has to compensate the lack of power of cyls 4 and 6. does this make more sense ? looks like a sealing issue mechanically!!

Thank you.
I will do cylinder test. If the compression improves ...
What can be done for 4 and 6 cylinder if it ?
If not improves....what could be solution ?

if pressure do not come up then you have a valve train issue!!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician