VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

The car, a Passat Volkswagen 2004 has Exhaust Pipe signal

Hello! The car, a Passat...
Hello! The car, a Passat Volkswagen 2004 has Exhaust Pipe signal on, and drives very slowly 20Mph about. Not sure it is serious, my wife just called me she is unsure she should drive back home with it.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: about 50000 and we are not drinving a lot
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I am not fixing it my self, I jwill take it to the garage eventually but I would need to know whether it is safe to drive for another 3miles
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that is all
9/18/2017
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

the vehicle went into a limp home mode where you can drive the vehicle to the repair facility. now did you try to turn off the car and restart is the light still on and does it go maximum 20mph?

please do let me know!!

The vehicle is in a parking facility and my wife is in the shop. I am trying to figure out whether it is dangerous to drive home while the signal Exhaust Pipe is on and that the car is at 20mph, the car gave signs earlier today and it was not responding to the acceleration request
Sorry my wife is with the car, she just called me to give me these information.

with my experience if a restart will not restore the power i would have the vehicle towed to the shop to get it looked at and resolved to prevent any more damage to the engine!!

anything else?

The car actually run, the engine run but the exhaust pipe signal is on and it run slowly. Just wondering how dangerous it would be to drive another 2 miles. To come back home so I can take it to tne garage. Having towednis th expensive method.

without exactly what faults are stored i cannot say yes it is ok or not . usually if the exhaust light is not flashing then you should be able to drive it home but as i said earlier its hard to say !!!

Ok, of course. I am just wondering of consequences of such fault on the dashboard

could be a sensor to a drastic turbo came apart and damaging the engine . i dont think its the extreme but have to keep that in play!!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Ok. Thank you.

my pleasure!!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician