VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I'm trying to remove the cd changer because it doesn't

Customer Question
I'm trying to remove...

I'm trying to remove the cd changer because it doesn't appear to have power. I thought I could try reseating the power cable

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

I just bought the Passat. I don't even know where the fuse box is yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Passat?

2003 passat glx wagon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

I bought a cd changer cartridge. Loaded in some cds, tried to play them, but there was no sound of loading at the changer box and the receiver did not show any cds in the slot numbers, except slot 5, which I left empty because without the cartridge, it already showed 5. I figured if there is a cd in there, that I could leave that slot empty and if the unit works, it would load without issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What does this service cost.

Mechanic's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the VW Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

How is that payable.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
9/16/2017
VW Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

directions are attached for you

Unfortunately, removing those 2 screws looks like the solution to me, but when I removed them the unit would not budge. Are there screws in the back too? That would mean I have to take out the entire mounting system, amp included. Otherwise, there must be a trick to it that I'm not getting.
Thank you.
Eric, I would prefer to call if you think that would help. I can't do that now because I have to go to meet an appointment. I can call you later today if there is a way to do that. Please send me directions.
P.S. I am pretty mechanical so I am quite sure that I removed those screws correctly. If I have to pay for a call I hope there are other things to try. Thank you so much for your help! Someone in my passat forums said that it is no problem that you just have to remove the two screws in the front and then two in the back. I have no idea how that is going to happen without removing the whole mounting unit, amp and all.

It is not secured in the rear or secured to the amp. Likely just stuck from having never been removed. Remove the 2 screws at front bottom of the amp and pull it out and you can then get your hand to back of the cd changer and pull it out by gripping the rear edge of the cd changer

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Unless you have a further question on this, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager