VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2012 VW Passat 2.5L. I turn the key and it doesn't turn

Customer Question
2012 VW Passat 2.5L...

2012 VW Passat 2.5L. I turn the key and it doesn't turn over. All the dash lights are on and the battery is charged.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Where is the location of the starter fuse, or relay?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, but I am very knowledgeable about cars, just not VW's.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I purchased the vehicle as a theft recovery, and the new key fob was recently programmed.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
9/14/2017
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago
kyle swart

Hello my name is ***** ***** than you for using just answer. In the center display in the instrument cluster, toward the bottom, does it say "no key"? That feature may only be available on the keyless cars however, Im guessing yours has a ignition switch. Do you have a scan tool capable of speaking to all the modules in the car ( i.e. ross tech). Thank you.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. Certified master auto technician
2003-2004, 2013-2015 Certified Volkswagen technician
VW and Audi technician, indpependent, 12 years.

mine has an ignition switch. Yes, I have a scan tool, it's a matco tools Maximus scanner.
let me see if I can figure it out first.
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

Ok. I was just curious to see if there is an immobilizer issue going on, or something else. If there is a key or immo issue occuring, you should have codes stored in several modules.

VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

You could also check to see if you are getting a 12 volt signal to the starter solenoid while cranking. If so, It may just be a failed starter.

VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

Hopefully you found the info I provided useful,
please rate me when you have the chance. 5 stars please,
and I can help you with any additional follow up questions.
If you dont feel like you can leave me a 5 star rating,
please let me know ahead of time and I will do my best to make sure I have done all that i can,
thank you.

kyle swart
kyle swart
kyle swart