VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My Passat 2007 only recently started consuming too much

Customer Question
My Passat 2007 only...

My Passat 2007 only recently started consuming too much fuel

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No it has not and it still starts as usual

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried anything been trying to google the possible faults

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only just had my AC fixed 2 days before it all starte

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
9/14/2017
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 8 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this occurred 2 days after the ac was repaired I would have the area checked over that was worked in when repairing the ac to see if something was left loose or damaged.If they had left the air intake loose from the throttle body or damaged the air flow sensor or disconnected the engine coolant temp sensor these are common causes for this fault here.I would see if the facility that did the ac work can re check their work.Let them know it started to consume more fuel after their repairs.Then if found to be their fault this should be corrected at no charge to you.

If you have a check engine light on with this issue I would have the fault codes checked to see what codes are set.Any codes set will then need diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault here.If no light is on and no codes are set and the work that was done did not affect this issue here one of the common cause is a dirty mass air flow sensor.This sensor should be in line with the air filter to the throttle body and detects the amount of air entering the engine so the computer can calculate fuel accordingly.If this sensor is sending a false signal due to being dirty or faulty then this will cause this fault and will need removed and cleaned with mass air flow sensor cleaner or removed and replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician